Monday, August 31, 2009


getaway.

or what I do to maintain sanity

Last week I took a much needed mini-break and hauled my buns as fast as my little car could go to the Appalachian Mountains. Ah, serenity. I spent three days doing only three things

  1. Eating
  2. Sleeping
  3. Reading (in a hammock, where #2 often overlapped.)

It. Was. Awesome!

I don’t know what you do to keep everday life from getting you down, but I highly recommend mountain air, it’s good for the soul.

I read a few things while I was there. First was Your Coffin or Mine by Kimberly Raye. This is part of a series of books about vampire love. It’s fluffy, silly and pretty predictable, but sometimes you need just a cute little story to take a break from the Edwardian tomes I like to read use as paperweights. I also read Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs. This is also part of a series. It features Mercedes Thompson, a shapeshifter and VW mechanic. This series I picked up not knowing much about them, but I’ve really gotten into them. If you’ve ever read the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich, it’s like that but supernatural. What I mean is, there is this relatable, strong female main character, some suspense, a little mystery and a good read. I’m starting to read Briggs’ other series from this world, the Alpha and Omega series, but I haven’t really gotten into these characters as much. I’m not giving up, though, she is a good author, and so far I haven’t been disappointed. I can’t wait for the next Mercy Thompson book, due next year.

The last book I read was Wake by Lisa McMann. I write this knowing it will not be helpful at all, but I think I really liked this book. I’m unsure because I cannot describe what it was about it that captivated me. I laid down for bed one night, thinking to read a couple chapters before I succumbed to exhaustion (after that busy day of...nothing.) I did not put the book down until I was finished. It’s a pretty fast read, but it held my addled, sleep-deprived brain until the wee hours. Read it, tell me what you think. What is it about that book that makes me not want to put it down?

And now, mini-vacation is over, and the real world has hit me like a freight train. I think it’s time to plan another little trip.


**p.s. Just so you know, I had a beautiful and well put together layout done for this blog, but blogger hates me, or we just don't speak the same language, and I've have given up, my creative juices are kaput, and I just cannot figure out what I'm doing, I'll get there, I promise!


0 comments:

Post a Comment